+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dangit, start promoting the SHOW!! Geez!

Dangit, start promoting the SHOW!! Geez!

First of all...

Do the second or third place teams get any money this year? It seems like the budget has been changed around.

Now this is my question. How much has this budget been slashed? No Early Show, no Rosie (aka Caroline), and only the winners of the first leg got a trip. I think I know what happened with that though. The teams arranged it so that all three early alliance teams stepped on the bag at once thus all 6 of them won the first leg prize. I bet they only had enough trips to last for the race with one team (possible two in extreme cases) winning each leg so I hope for the prizes to start back up this week.

I think the Early Show/Caroline Rhea shows really helped out the ratings. I know that I first found out about the show in a big end of the Season finale on a talk show (Rosie) and I probably would have never watched it if I had not seen that. The top 10 rated shows for last week just came out and TAR4 missed the cut for a 4th straight week. Bring back the promos!!!! I cannot handle the thought of losing this show due to bad promotion. I mean how hard can it be to get these folks on a daytime talk show to promote it. If they can just get some people to tune in that have never heard of it the ratings would take off because this is the best show on TV hands down.

I just hate the fact that this show could get cancelled because of stinginess in the promotion dept. I would rather them cut all the Mercedes that they drive around in, cut the crazy music, cut expensive stunts and detours, and get back to the basics that made this show a hit. It seems like they have blown their budget on the show and have nothing less to promote it. It is like a fancy restaurant opening up without even putting a "We're Open" sign out on the curb. Come on CBS, wake up!

This show is in no danger of being cancelled. And prizes for being first are still in line with last season.

Sure, I'm bummed that no one's been in New York after being eliminated, but as long as it's on, and I get to do interviews, I'm not worried.

On the bright side, they moved it to a good time slot on a good night. No complaints there.

FORT Newbie
    This show is in no danger of being cancelled.
    How do you know that? They haven't even started casting for next season yet...they're way behind their usual schedule.

I know it because CBS is happy with the performance of the show, ratings-wise. It's outperforming the same timeslot from last year, by more than 30%, on a regular basis. It's doing well - just not top 10 well.

great news! (hopefully)

Originally posted by John
    I know it because CBS is happy with the performance of the show, ratings-wise. It's outperforming the same timeslot from last year, by more than 30%, on a regular basis. It's doing well - just not top 10 well.
    At least it's good news, but still disappointed why it's not top 10. Just as long as they'll still be showing TAR5, 6, 7........

FORT Newbie
    As a newbie, I must say I discovered this show by channel surfing... I usually watch 'Friends' during this slot but since they are in re-runs, I flipped over. Now I'm very hooked. This show is really the best show on television right now.

My question is rather cheezy... besides the winning team and the "first place" prizes, do any of the teams get compensated in any way? In spite of the "the best experience I ever had... blah, blah, blah" do they get anything for appearing on the show?

Thanks.

Hook'em, it's similar to Survivor. The winning team gets $1 million. Each eliminated team gets compensated based on how long they were there. Numbers are never disclosed (by contract), but I would venture to say the second team gets around $75,000 and so on.

Plus, the eliminated teams are sequestered in a secret location (last year was Portugal) until the end of the show's taping. So, if you're the first eliminated, you've earned approximately 37 days of all-inclusive partying.

I thought they got sequestered in a couple of different locations, depending on where they were when they were Philiminated.
    I'm sure I can remember Michael saying that, but I could well be wrong
    "That's Numberwang!"

I too thought I had read a few times that they get sequestered in a few different locales, but cannot cite any specific references.

Also regarding the "prize money" for the non-winners. I also know I read somewhere an interview or chat-transcript with some former season team and I swear I remember them throwing out an amount I think it was 2nd and 3rd place, but cannot for the life of me remember where it was, nor what the amounts were. Some time later I went searching for the info again and could not find it. If I had to say what I think I remember the numbers being, for some reason the numbers $50,000 and $10,000 jump to mind, but those admittedly could just be what I am dreaming up as reasonable Silver and Bronze prizes.

I assume that all teams get paid for their time and efforts. Probably drops off substantially after 3rd place. I think I read or heard that on BB they get paid a weekly amount based on how long they are in The House. Don't all of these shows' contestants have to get some actors' card or something to appear on TV. Would they essentially be considered like extras or something and have to be paid some minimum amount??? No clue, just some thoughts.

Slightly more on topic, I thought CBS did okay promoting it. I was disappointed that TAR only got 1 freakin' commercial during Survivor finale--for goodness sakes we were going to be babysitting their regular time slot during the summer months; you'd think they'd have been pushing it hard during the last few Survivor eps. But I think I saw a fair amount on during other shows although it seemed to pick up after the regular shows were winding down. And they seem to still be throwing a fair amount of them on during other shows that I watch. But outside of that could use some work. They have TAR featured prominently on their cbs.com main page. And TAR banners come up when you are on other cbs.com pages. But have the "losers" on Letterman or Early Show or somewhere.

My gut tells me there will be a TAR5. But have they decided it is only worthy of summer status--don't know. If so, they could wait until as late as late-October or a little later to announce apps for a summer 2004 TAR5. I believe it is physically impossible for them to throw one together for fall 2003. But if they wanted to have one ready to possibly fill in somewhere in the spring 2004 season they would need to announce apps by around late-July or so. I'd say if they don't announce them before TAR4 is over that means it is destined for summer. We'll see, I guess.

+ Reply to Thread