+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being hated advantage or disadvantage?

Being hated advantage or disadvantage?

Cutting in line, trying to be first, wanting to win no matter what is this really wrong when compeating for 1 million dollars? As long as you don't care what others think and you don't physically hurt anyone what does it matter as long as you can live with how you will be seen on TV.

I don't know what I would or wouldn't do if I was a racer, but I have read many times on this forum that people don't like how some of the racers have behaved. I just think if you are willing to not get any help from another team (disadvantage) isn't it an advantage to being hated? Other teams may focus on you (not the race) and anytime they do this may become an advantage in winning. The Guido's in AR1 felt this way and made it to 3rd. Teri and Ian were also not well liked and they also may it far.

I just bring this up to get your opinions.

All valid points.

I have complained about certain things... Jon (I think) telling the bus driver to leave Monica and Sheree and Josh getting tickets for ATC guys in ep 1. Those two things to me, were mean and really didn't help the teams doing it at all.

On the other hand the grabbing of the tickets off the buggies didn't bug me at all because it was a matter of correctly reading the clue.

One the one hand I often say (and really do mean) that I don't care what people think of me. BUT I say that when I am being the best person I can be. If I were to "play dirty" whether it's fair or not, then I guess I would care what people thought of me.

Did that make sense?

Anyway, I still feel that Tian and Jaree should have stayed in their place in line. I have no idea how hard they tried to explain what went down with the guy telling them to park there. That may have made other teams dislike them though.

It's funny to me, as teams get angry at other teams for what could be seen as playing dirty, but I have a feeling every team on the show will have done something that could be viewed that way by other teams.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by cali
    I have complained about certain things... Jon (I think) telling the bus driver to leave Monica and Sheree and Josh getting tickets for ATC guys in ep 1. Those two things to me, were mean and really didn't help the teams doing it at all.
    Just so everyone who missed the first episode knows, that was fat-phobic Jon of Kelly and Jon and not Jon the loveable clown!

I think it's great to be competitive and to do what it takes to get ahead, but I think it's necessary to utilize a sense of ethics as well. I think Millie put it best when she said that not sharing information with Kelly and Jon is still ethical. While it's necessary to be willing to do things to get ahead, I think they will feel better about their playing if they play ethically, but still competitively, which some teams are doing very well.

FORT Fogey
    Hey Anna, thanks for telling me as I forgot who told the bus driver to leave Monica and Sheree behind. I thought,"It couldn't be clown Jon!"

I guess I'd rather just be someone that no one really notices. Then people don't interfere with you at all. I don't know if I'd want to be hated all that much.

I would do what I could to win though. And if it meant playing dirty than so be it.

I wouldn't give another team ANY information that might help them advance -- like telling them where the clue box is, sharing maps, navigating, etc. And I couldn't believe it when the clown team missed their (bus or train?) staying behind with Millie. (Sorry she has asthma, but that's her problem, not theirs.)

If I could mislead or misdirect another team, I would do it in a second. This is a race for a million bucks, not Boy Scout camp.

Exactly Wizard.

I would try to be polite as I could, but I don't think I would do anything that might give another team an advantage over me or even equalize them.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Spring & Fall: Preferred
    If you are hated, you are less likely to get valuable assistance from the other teams.

Personally, I think the teams that need the most amount of 'help' are the teams that are most likely to lose.

I would always be suspicious of any information from other teams anyhow. How would I know if they were trying to pull off a Kelly like move of brilliance? (Is THAT the lighthouse?)
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Originally posted by Miss Filangi
    Personally, I think the teams that need the most amount of 'help' are the teams that are most likely to lose.

I would always be suspicious of any information from other teams anyhow. How would I know if they were trying to pull off a Kelly like move of brilliance? (Is THAT the lighthouse?)
    I agree that 'help' is not always so helpful. We have seen many times that 'partner' teams aren't always helpful. In fact they sometimes convince you to make the wrong decisions.
    Remember in the first episode that J&D conviced R&C to take the train instead of a car in Italy. Relying on someone else can make you lazy and not think smart. Also waiting for you partner team is not that smart, minutes can turn into hours if you miss a train or a plane. Having help is only a 50/50 proposition, I think it is better to just go alone. Having help is like having the FF yet to use. It's almost better to have used it and not have the option. Then you don't have to think about it anymore and can just concentrate on the race.

But, you must feel that you are a strong team.

I don't think I would try to be hated, but I wouldn't back down like R&C and T&J did last week if I thought I did nothing wrong.

I just feel that help from other teams is overrated and that not being liked by other teams isn't such a bad thing.

I think it really doesn't matter. Which speaks tons about the race since it shows how much in control of your own destiny you are through your actions pertaining to the actual race. In any case, alliances never last too long, so you shouldn't count on that at all. Some of the most hated teams in the past races have gotten 2nd and 3rd. Also, a team like Rob and Brennan, who have been very polite and refrained from using underhanded tactics (In Alaska, Rob had the option of reserving all the seats left on the plane to block Frank and Marguarita out of it, but chose not to) was able to win the first Amazing Race. I think you should just focus on what style you, as a team, are comfortable with and stick with it.

As a team you need to focus on the race ahead of you, reading clues correctly, making the right traveling decisions. Everything else is far far less important.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast