+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What changes would you like to see?

What changes would you like to see?

Now that we're in the fourth season of TAR, and the series has matured, what changes in the way the race is run would make it better/more interesting? Here's my top choices:

1. Less 'bunching' at stops.

2. Route clues that are less straightforward and require some thought to puzzle out. 'Go to the westernmost point in Europe' on an earlier TAR is a good example, although it was pretty easy to solve.

3. More difficult roadblocks. Loved the 'masked ball' roadblock due to its degree of difficulty, hated the Le Mans racecar roadblock because it looked WAY too easy.

4. More opportunities to make mistakes. One of my favorite TAR moments was when four out of eight teams put unleaded gas into diesel-burning vehicles. It was very interesting watching how they did - or didn't - solve this unexpected problem.

What do you think?

FORT Fogey
    You know, I think the clues have been more difficult in past seasons. In particular, in season one, the clues were more difficult and had some teams stumped and looking to others for help. But I agree that they should be more of puzzles, so that brains are rewarded just as much as brawn.

Re: What changes would you like to see?

I think the bunching at pit stops is OK. Better than an unnatural bunching during the race like before the Masked Ball. I can understand normal opening and closing hours, but I think the Masked Ball opening was made up by the producers. I also think the bunching is wanted by the producers so they don't have to wait hours for someone to get in. I'm sure Phil likes it too.

I don't think the Masked ball was that difficult since it took all the teams about 17min to get through, but it was more interesting to watch. I think the racing task took longer, but I'm not certain.
    There has to be a balance between physical and mental tasks to play off the teams strenghs and weaknesses.

But, mental tasks are more interesting to the viewer since we can participate and be frustrated at teams who can't figure them out. Sort of like watching a game show were you know the answer before the players.

One addition I would like to see which would fit into the travel theme of the show is if the teams had to find or deliver some local trinket/gift to Phil to get a bonus of time or money. This could be an optional task that would naturally cause bunching, because only teams in front would want to attempt it. It could add some humor to the show if the gift were fragile/heavy or large. If the gift was (broken/not taken all the way) the team would then get nothing or a penalty.

FORT Regular
    Love to see all the clues in verse.

Please tell me you're kidding.

I hate that on Survivor. :rolleyes
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

no ties!
    Carey

FORT Fogey
    no more model teams!!!

lol_its_fun
    I think the show would be much more interesting if:

1. extend from 60 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes.

2. One of the most intersting thing in TAR is watching the teams racing in countries where they have completely different cultures, languages, and etc. I personally enjoy it vey much when the teams are racing in Asia.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    New episodes running on the network year round.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Leo
    Premium Member
    More Phil. He's way under-utilized.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast