+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: 6/19 Post-Show Discussion (*SPOILERS*)

FORT Fogey
    I think some of the teams were mad because they were jealous that those teams had spent a night in a hotel while they spent an uncomfortable night in their cars. I'm sure they have more money to show for it, though...

Lil_Cutie
    They ended up finishing first in the leg so it doesn't really matter, although by the whole thing caused them to have to use the fast forward that they probably wouldn't have used.
    I really don't think the order they entered the Port area had anything to do with T&J using FF. The cars were shown filing into the Port rather quickly, then they were also shown later driving around within the Port area still in groups. I think it took a matter of minutes for ALL of the teams to enter, regardless of order. T&J either had problems later that led them to choose FF or they may have simply wanted to get away from the other teams due to the arguing that occurred.

I said over in the Reichen & Chip thread that I was against R&C and T&J handling of the Port situation. The order they arrived the night before had absolutely nothing to do with who gets to go in first. There have been numerous similar situations in all past TAR seasons where something is closed. Sometimes there are sign-up sheets, so the order of finding it leads to the order of getting to do it. In those cases you don't need to stay there until it opens--just be back in time to re-claim your sign-up order. Other times there are no sign-ups, so you have to decide whether to stay or leave/come back.

Some have said that R&C and T&J left the night before because they were told to--that is 100% true. But so were other teams. And, the key difference is, the other teams simply left the gate area and lined up where it WAS acceptable to the local authority. They did not just give up on lining up.

I know most people have formed their opinions on the line-up problem so I am probably wasting FORT space harping on it again. But I just don't see the advantage in making enemies with the other teams for what appeared to be almost no advantage at all. I don't think that full alliances are necessarily that good of a thing, but I don't think I would want all the other teams against me. Even outside of 'alliances' sometimes there are isolated moments of working together on something, sharing a map, or travel info. But if everyone is against you, you won't have those potential moments.

When I think of the remaining teams, I just can't envision any others wanting to help R&C especially, and maybe even T&J now. Why would they?

Originally posted by 512mom
    Also, I'm not sure they would be flying at a full fare economy ticket. I would venture to say that they have some type of barter agreement with the airlines for using the airline name. Usually, airlines are approached to bid for allowing their airline to be featured in films, tv programs etc. Depending on the nature of the program, airlines bid or pass on the opportunity. The barter agreement could be that the airline would for example give $100,000 in air travel for mention and footage of the name on the program. Too bad they didn't just ask if they were being upgraded because then they could have stayed on the flight. I think there were 2 teams in previous TARs that were upgraded. Just my 2 cents from working in this area of the airline industry.
    Interesting reply, I missed it earlier. Now to think about it, I believe the ticket they have must be an 'Unrestrcited Type' of ticket. Whether CBS pays Full Fare or use somekind of commerical agreement, I don't know, that's why I named it: "CBS Contract Fare" on the earlier post. Every big companies have a contract with different airlines so say the published full fare for that route is $3,000, the contract fare will give them a corporate discount of certain %. Say, it may make it $2,000 instead. The fact is, these people had to travel on the day of depature on a last-minute basis and they are not restricted by the carrier [e.g. It can be Swiss, Lufthansa or Air France] and this is the perfect description of an "Unrestricted Ticket Class". By definition, an Unrestrcited Ticket is Full-Fare. In the case of Lufthansa German Airline, the booking class for Full-Fare economy happens to be Y. So either way, they must be travelling on Y booking class because it is the only economy booking class that can be sold on the day of travel if you haven't booked in advance. I wonder...if the agents at Salzburg made a mistake. It wasn't Lufthansa crew but Austrian Airlines handling it for Lufthansa because they are part of Star Alliance. And my experience with Austrian tells me that they print the booking class on the boarding pass as opposed to class of service. In other words, if you fly award Business class, they will print I class code on the boarding pass as opposed to C class. So for Reichen and Chip, they probably should figured out first what fare and what booking class they were booked to and not necessarily the cabin they were flying. It is not uncommon for an airline to bump last minute passengers on full-fare (Y Class) to Business when the back is oversold. In some other cases, a full-fare Y class includes an automatic upgrade to C class on some routes. I can do some search and see what that routes come up but it has been a few months now and I don't know if the same fare rules still apply. Anyway, I'll check.
    Phil

just read your post, Tsutroi....so dizzy...
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Originally posted by hepcat
    just read your post, Tsutroi....so dizzy...
    Take my advice, ignore it to save yourself some headache. It's not easy for someone who doesn't have experience with it.

And to add insult to injury, I just checked that route - apperantly, the only one-way fare on Lufthansa is a C class (Business Class) fare. What this means is full-fare economy = business. This is very tricky because in theory, all teams should be seated on Business class whenever available so my guess is the CBS contract fare (and doesn't allow C class booking) is something totally different but the ticket agent at Salzburg didn't realize it and just thought: "Oh, it's full-fare and one-way, so follow the normal COW rules and booked them in Business on Frankfurt to Paris where Business class is available but not economy."

The bottom-line is I don't think Reichen made the error. By all evidences present, it seems it's the airline's error or the ground staff mishandled the situation.
    Phil

FORT Newbie
    Sorry for not replying earlier nlmcp and Cali. Thanks for the tip on how to quote. I'll try it out next time.

Finally got to watch the show and get to a computer to make some comments!!

I watched this weeks show with my girlfriend, who was watching the show for the first time ever. The hilarious thing is, while we were watching, she turned to me after Kelly and Jon had been on and Kelly was being her normal self, she turned to me and said "She is absolutely worthless". I almost died I was laughing so hard!!

Bummer to see Steve and Josh go. I would much rather prefer to see K&J leave. But its all good.

DavidM, why would you think that Josh doesnt have good things to say about his Pop?? He was all bummed out and apologizing for forcing the decision to take the train out of the Checkpoint. And he has been saying all good things about him the entire race. I believe it was Josh who convinced his dad to come on TAR so they could reconcile and improve their relationship. Or was that one of your sweet spoilers?
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

FORT Fogey
    Actually, I think it was Steve who asked his son to go on the race. In their bios, they said he looked all over for him and found him lined up to see a Star Wars movie.

ACTUALLY, I just read their interview, and it was Mom Geezer who suggested they both go on the race together!! Either way, it seems to me like Steve& Josh got along pretty well on the race. I just cant see the final words going down as DavidM suggests.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread