+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ABC Hopes U.S. is "Girl" Crazy

ABC Hopes U.S. is "Girl" Crazy

The premise of ABC's newest reality show, "All American Girl," might have viewers humming the tune "There She Is ..."

But executive producer Marilyn Wilson said the series - a 13-week search for what the network calls the ultimate American dream girl - will be "drastically different" from the Miss America pageant.

"You get to see the disappointment," she said. "When they walk off the stage [after losing] there's a camera there. We get to hear their feelings. It's heartbreaking. We're not nasty about it - but somebody has to leave the show."

Rejection has proved to be catnip for reality-show fans. But "All American Girl," which launches tonight at 9, arrives just as the unscripted genre appears to have reached the saturation point in prime time.

Recent reality entries such as Fox's "Married by America" and ABC's "The Family" and "I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out of Here" haven't generated big ratings or much buzz.

Wilson was concerned about her show being late to the party. But then she heard burly members of the show's technical crew talking about their favorite contestants.

"Here were these totally grizzly guys saying, 'I hope she wins - she's so nice," Wilson said.

She is hoping viewers will react the same way when they meet the 45 contestants - selected from nationwide auditions and taped entries - in tonight's two-hour show, which was created by 19 Entertainment, the makers of Fox's "American Idol."

A celebrity panel of "coaches" - former Spice Girl Geri Halliwell, retired NBA player John Salley and TV and movie producer Suzanne De Passe - will guide the contestants through competitions in talent, athleticism and appearance.

Starting April 2, viewers will vote by phone each week for their favorite. The winner - to be named on a live finale on May 21 - will get a management contract through 19 Entertainment.

Preview tapes were not provided by ABC but promos show the women going through some of their routines in a bikini or sports bra.

But brains count as well on "All American Girl." Finalists will also take a "general knowledge" test.

That was the tough part for some of the applicants who auditioned for the show. When asked to name two countries bordering the U.S., one put down Spain and Europe.

"Some of the answers would frighten you," Wilson said.
    *source http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...0p-61794c.html

I heard a radio commercial this afternoon, and there were some pretty funny quotes on it.

I guess I have to watch this one. They compare it to Miss America like that is a draw back. As a pageant lover, that is the reason I'll be watching.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

i think i'm going to get sick of geri pretty quickly. i never really had an opinion of her until last night on letterman. man, she's dim.

i'm looking forward to tonight's show. i hope it has some viewers!

FORT Newbie
    If they are comparing it to Miss America...I hope they don't make the mistake of Miss America and having boring untalented women on there...talent wins in the USA it's been proven over and over again.......

i think it will be MUCH more exciting than a regular miss america pageant! (god, i hope i hope i hope)

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I heard Geri talking about it on the Stern show this morning. Doesn't sound too exciting to me.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Actually, I'm enjoying it so far.

I think the first show was pretty good over all. It will be intersting to see how the coaching goes.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

i was totally wrong. geri on aag and geri on letterman are two totally different creatures. i've liked her directness and honesty without intentionally hurting the girls' feelings.

+ Reply to Thread