+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mark Philippoussis

Re: Mark Philippoussis

iviallage.com interview:

5 Questions With Mark Philippoussis

Did you tune in for the first episode of Age of Love on Monday? We did! iVillage caught up with the star for five quick questions post-premiere:

1. iVillage: You are good looking, successful, and charming. Do you really need a reality show to meet people?

Mark: I haven't been dating recently. When you play tennis and have such a full schedule you want to make sure you are with someone for the right reasons...and to be perfectly honest, this is an opportunity no young athlete in any sport could resist. I want to take the time to find the right person and don't want to rush into anything. This seemed like a great way to do that.

2. iVillage: Any bloopers/funny things that happened on set?

Mark: I'm dating 13 beautiful women at once, of course there were funny moments! You'll have to tune in all season to see what happens.

3. iVillage: What made you decide to do the show?

Mark: Carlos Fleming who looks after me at IMG, he called me, and said there was a dating show looking for a bachelor. He told me I would have a chance to meet smart, beautiful women, and if I liked any of them there was a real opportunity to let a relationship grow. I wasn't positive that I wanted to do it, but I put my name in, 3ball (the production company) sent a crew to film me, sent it to NBC, NBC flew me in, and it went from there. It's a great opportunity because people are going to find out who the real me is off the court, they are going too see a side of me that no one besides my friends and family see, everything about the show is me, not an act.

4. iVillage: The age of the women: was it easy for you to tell, or were you really surprised when you found out?

Mark: Well I knew the format of the show, just not all the details. When I first met the ladies they told me their ages, which I wouldn't have guessed until they told me. I was freaked out a bit, don't get me wrong they are beautiful, don't look their age, and they all had so much to offer...I just had never dated a woman who was that much older than me...I learned very quickly not to judge a book by its cover.

5. iVillage: Why did you vote off the first contestant, Jodie?

Mark: She was a great girl, beautiful, but there just wasn't that chemistry that I feel you need to have a relationship.

tennis week

The Tennis Week Interview: Mark Philippoussis

By Valentine Uhovski
    06/21/2007

Severe knee surgeries might have prevented Mark Philippoussis from competing on tour (at least for the moment), but his private life has never been easier. This summer, he stars in a new NBC reality-dating show "Age of Love", where 13 women compete for his affection.

The show features a twist: half of the female contestants are in their 20s and half are in their 40s. The women will vie for the 30-year-old Melbourne native's attention and affection until Philippoussis selects one prospective love match. The show premiered on Monday night and airs each Monday at 10 p.m. Eastern time.

The 2003 Wimbledon finalist relocated to Las Vegas where he has been training with Andre Agassi's fitness trainer and coach, Gil Reyes and Darren Cahill in preparation for his comeback after suffering a right knee injury at the Hopman Cup in January. Philippoussis and Agassi engaged in an epic Wimbledon fourth-round clash in which the Aussie pounded 46 aces to power past the second-seeded Agassi 6-3, 2-6, 6-7(4), 6-3, 6-4 into the 2003 Wimbledon quarterfinals.

Philippoussis has also been busy hitting balls with former Bush front man and avid tennis player Gavin Rossdale, earning his pilot's license and proudly spending time with the love of his life: his new Rottweiler puppy, Kya.

Tennis Week caught up with Philippoussis, who will return to tournament tennis next month when he launches defense of his Newport title on the historic grass-court grounds of the International Tennis Hall of Fame.

Tennis Week: First of all, how are your knees doing?

Mark Philippoussis: Good, I obviously had several surgeries, but I don’t want to rush my comeback in any way. I want to be 100 percent ready for this, not 85 percent or 75 percent. I’ve made that mistake before and I don’t want to be in the same position again.

Tennis Week: Do you expect to compete again?

Mark Philippoussis: Most definitely. I still want to be on court, fighting for every point. Watching tennis on TV is obviously difficult as well. I don’t miss the French Open so much because I haven’t done so well there, but Wimbledon — it's tough. I’ll probably only watch a few final matches because not being there can be excruciating.

Tennis Week: What is best thing about all the free time?

Mark Philippoussis: Right before the show, I studied five times a week to earn a private pilot license. I had no time when the show started taping but now I’m back to studying again. Of course, there is time for things like movies, golf, bowling and spending time with four and half month Rottweiler puppy, Kya. I’m definitely a dog person.

Tennis Week: How did you come to do "Age of Love." Whose idea was it?

Mark Philippoussis: My agent informed me of the show and said they were looking for a bachelor who was possibly an athlete. Usually, it’s not something that I wouldconsider, but I thought maybe this would be a chance to express myself, to do something exciting and maybe even find someone special. I really believe in life things do happen for a reason. If I wouldn’t have had the surgery, I wouldn’t be able to do this show and wouldn’t find someone I was interested in.

Tennis Week: What’s harder: practicing your serve or keeping 13 women away from each other?

Mark Philippoussis: It was extremely difficult! I felt the tension and the pressure from the start. Plus, I had to memorize everyone’s name and connect with each contestant in some way. I’m actually a pretty shy person. But this experience really matured me.

Tennis Week: What is the difference between a camera following you around at all times and playing before a camera on the tennis court?

Mark Philippoussis: The reality TV cameras are a lot more unforgiving than Wimbledon or U.S. Open center court cameras. There are seven lenses and twenty cameras guys basically going on a date with you. And you’re just trying to have an intimate conversation or kiss a girl.

Tennis Week: Did any women study up their tennis trivia to impress you?

Mark Philippoussis: Not really. They knew that I played tennis and pretty much left the career talk at that.

Tennis Week: What is your favorite Wimbledon moment and why?

Mark Philippoussis: I remember the 2000 five hour, five-minute marathon against Sjeng Schalken. The match ended at 20-18 and it was pretty exhilarating. Getting to the finals in 2003 was obviously a highlight as well.

source

As a professional tennis player, Mark Philippoussis has traveled to every corner of the world. But nothing will prepare him for his starring role in NBC’s new reality show Age of Love, where he’ll have to choose between seven incredibly sexy “cougars” who are in their 40s and six beautiful “kittens” who are in their 20s. Sounds like a real tough job, Mark. Here, Mr. Lucky tells FHM Online about his new show, man-hungry cougars and his fictitious love life.

How did you go from tennis star to reality show star?
    I got a call from an agent who said he was looking for a sports celebrity for a new reality show and he asked me if I minded him putting my name out there. I wasn’t too sure at first, but then I thought, ‘What’s the big deal?’ So he threw my name in the ring and the studios were interested.

Easy enough. The show, Age of Love, pits older women (cougars) against younger women (kittens). What are the benefits of an older woman?
    The biggest thing was how comfortable they were with their sexual side—they weren’t afraid to show it. Older women have a lot more confidence all around because they know what they want and they know what makes them happy.

Has it become more common for younger guys to date older women?Oh yeah, without a doubt. I think American Pie set the standard when it comes to younger men and older women.

And sex with desserts. What’s the oldest woman on Age of Love?
    The oldest woman on the show is 48 years old. God she’s beautiful. She doesn’t even look close to her age—incredible genes. I couldn’t even see myself dating a 48-year-old at the beginning of the show, but she is a stunner.

Celebrity-wise who is the ultimate cougar?
    There’s something about Jennifer Aniston—I’ve always liked her. Obviously, Demi Moore looks amazing.

As a tennis star, you’ve traveled all over the world. Which country has the sexiest women?
    That’s a tough one. I would say Italy is up there. I was very surprised by the women in Greece. Then again, Russia and Czechoslovakia are well represented, too. But, really, there are beautiful women everywhere—it’s too hard to pinpoint one country.

We agree. Who is the hottest female tennis player on the pro tour?
    I’ll be honest with you, I don’t know if there’s anyone who I would say is hot. They are pretty or they are cute. I think the young girl who was in this year’s French Open finals, Ana Ivanovic, is very cute.

Which guy on the tour is considered the top ladies man?
    I would say Marat [Safin, Russian tennis pro] is up there. I’ve partied with him. He definitely likes to go pretty hard.

In the past you’ve been linked to many beautiful women, including Paris Hilton. What’s your secret?
    Well, first of all I’ve never ever dated Paris. We’ve just had mutual friends. It was presumed that we dated. People even said I dated Tara Reid, but it wasn’t true. Everyone thought we were an item simply because we had mutual friends and we’d hang out together. Unfortunately, I’ve never even dated 70 percent of the women people say I’ve dated.

Fair enough. What’s the strangest thing a woman has done to get your attention?
    Female fans have sent me naked pictures before, which is actually pretty weird. Once, I was staying in Italy and I was doing an autograph session when this attractive older woman approached me and said she was a big fan of mine. She was even talking about some matches I had played in Europe. Several weeks later, I looked out my window at my home in Florida and she was standing in my front yard with a bottle of champagne. It was very weird.

She actually followed you back to the States? How did you respond to her?
    [Laughs] I did not open the door, I’ll tell you that! She actually was out there for two days.

Who gets your vote for sexiest woman alive?
    I would have to put Jessica Alba up there. Her smile, her eyes, her lips—and she seems like such a sweetheart, too. She’s up there, without a doubt.

Great choice, she was recently voted FHM’s Sexiest Woman in the World.
    There you go! I can’t say I ever met her but every time you see anything on TV, even her interviews, she seems so down to earth and she’s always smiling. That, to me, is very sexy.

Is the Age of Love your first step into the world of Hollywood?
    I don’t know if that is even a step into Hollywood. Is it?

Most people would agree it’s a good start.
    I won’t lie to you, I’m one of those people who watches a TV show or movie and I think to myself, ‘Man, I’d love to do acting.’ I’ve thought that since I was a little kid. I always wanted to try comedy, but I could also see myself being a bad guy.

You don’t seem like a bad guy.
    Really? Well, screw you then! [laughs]

Check out Age of Love Monday nights at 9 p.m. on NBC.

Thanks for posting the article/interview, flip_fan!

His answer about the 'celebrity cougar' question was a bit interesting. Jennifer Aniston is a cougar?? I bet she'd love to hear that!

His Peace after the Storm cafegirl's Avatar

Thanks, flip_fan, those are some great article/interviews. I'm with you Secret, that Jennifer A would probably be like Kelly Ripa was when her hubbie put her in the Cougar category.. She chose to be a "cat" (I think! ). Anyway, When you look at all the actresses that have recently turned 40, it's a WOW group!
    Have you noticed in these interviews, they pretty much stay away from questioning Mark about how he and his final choice are doing.. or if he "fell" for her or any typical "Bachelor" lingo questioning ?!!
    "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!"

Yeah I've noticed that cafegirl. I think they must be given guidelines of what questions are not acceptable , before the interview. But one of the interviews took place during the taping - the one where he said "I have to go eliminate someone now". I cannot wait to read the comments of his tennis colleagues, after Wimbledon. I read one snarky comment by Andy Roddick but I cant find it anymore. If anyone can find it - please post it!

Quote Originally Posted by pajamasam;2449511;
    Wow. Thanks for finding that. I could swear that I read something more like "I cant believe he is doing this." or , "why would he do this?" But I could be mistaken. Especially if I "read" it late at night.
    There could certainly be more than one quote. I'll take a look and see what else I find.

I was a fan of him when he played tennis. He played well in the second set against Roger in the Wimbledon 2003 final second set tiebreaker.

I understand that Mark refused to do this if it was a "marriage" show (I assume he was referring to The Bachelor) but a dating show was OK. I certainly do not expect any lasting attachment.
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

I wonder if they are paying him a substantial amount of money to do this show. Or does he just need to do it for name recognition purposes in order to score more endorsement deals?

+ Reply to Thread