+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Age of Love: "Kittens" vs. "Cougars" *NO SPOILERS, PLEASE!!!*

Re: Bachelor Knock-Off: Age of Love

Just watched the trailer. The "older" women are hot! The younger ones look like bunnies...how funny will this be? It does start on June 18 (Monday).

P.S. Be sure to catch the interview with Mark Consuelos and the show's creator.

NBC.com - Summer Fun on NBC
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

* This is a very nice article on him... it talks more about him as a person! He is also a dog person, maybe we can get Roseskid interested?

Scud Searches for Love
    Aussie tennis star Mark Philippoussis is looking for love — and he hopes a new reality show will help him find it

Posted May. 09, 2007

Money? Check. Manly tattoo? Check. Loves his mother? Check. So why is Las Vegas-based, Melbourne-based tennis pro Mark Philippoussis looking for love? "I am so shy and I've been so lonely," says the Scud, who has lost out on some tight romantic match-ups in the past. "I would just really like to meet someone."

Reality TV to the rescue. This week, WHO has learned, the US television network NBC will name the injury prone tennis pro as star of Age of Love, a new Bachelor-esque summer series with a twist: half the women are in their 20's and half in their 40's. Given Philippoussis, 30, has always had an eye for a younger lady, will he be put off the more experienced love hopefuls? "Age doesn't matter to me," he says. "All the women are beautiful."

Sure there won't be an age bias, tiger? "When they first told me about the older women, I said I thought I would be uncomfortable kissing them. I just couldn't see that happening. But I was wrong," says the Scud. "One of the women, she's 48 years old and she's, ah, she's beautiful. Until now, the oldest woman I ever dated was still four years younger than me. The youngest was 19—10 years younger."

Just how did Philippousis get into the playing the ultimate love game in front of millions? "Through my agency, I found out that the producers were looking for a celebrity or an athlete for a Bachelor-type show and I auditioned," says the Scud, who had time on his hands after being off the tennis circuit since a series of knee injuries. And he's been single since last August when he broke up with model Alexis Barbara, 19, and insists he's not a player. "I have only had three serious relationships in my life and I have never, ever dated Paris Hilton or Tara Reid," says Philipoussis. "We have a few mutual friends but I am not the kind of guy to go out partying a lot."

So how has he met his women before? "I'll be honest. I'm shy. I'm really shy. The only way I've ever met women in the past was to be introduced. I would not think of going up to someone I don't know," he says. "I guess that's the great thing about this show, I am going to have to grow up in order to get to know the women. I need to learn to trust again."

The Scud baulked at discussing his loves and losses, but admits he was unsettled when first introduced to his 13 Age of Love co-stars, who range in age from 21 to 48. The women live on separate floors of a Los Angeles high-rise NBC has leased. The bachelor himself occupies the 37th floor chrome-and-glass penthouse with its shag rugs, flat screen tv, and commanding views of city and mountains.

"I was very nervous about everything. It was especially weird to be in my bathroom, brushing my teeth and shaving and showering, surrounded by all these cameras," he says. "To be honest, it was a little uncomfortable but now I've kind of settled down with the ladies. They're all so gorgeous and so comfortable to be with."

On May 5, the full cast gathered for a photo shoot in front of the penthouse's chocolate suede sofa. The women were bubbling with excitement but the bachelor was cringing. Three shows had already been filmed and three of the women gathered for the shoot had already been sent home by Philippoussis. "I was so sad, I almost couldn't look in their eyes," he says. "For me, that was worse than playing the big match on Centre Court."

In hopes of returning to Wimbledon's Centre Court in June—where in 2003 a bare-chested Scud hoisted the championship trophy—the bachelor works out in the first floor gym and plays a lot of tennis with old friend, Brit musician Gavin Rossdale at the Beverly Hills estate he shares with wife Gwen Stefani and their son Kingston.

Although Philippouss favours grass courts, he says practice matches with Rossdale on his backyard hard court are a work-out. And, one assumes, a welcome escape from the 24/7 Age of Love cameras. Rossdale is one of a handful of people who know about his friend's starring show. "He said to me, 'Wow. You could change the dating habits of all mankind!'"

Or, even, just his own. "I'm 30 years old and I have so much to learn. There's no such thing as a perfect woman, no such thing as a perfect man and no such thing as a perfect relationship," he says. "I am just looking for someone who makes me a better person. And now, I've discovered, that might be an older woman."

So if the Scud has been surprised by his interest in women no longer in their first youth, what surprises are in store for the women? "They will realise I'm a very simple guy, not that playboy type. My shyness is misinterpreted as arrogance and that's not who I am," says Philippoussis. "I'm polite but I don't open up a lot. I tend to be very guarded but hopefully people will realize I'm a simple guy who wants a simple girl."

But simple or not, she must meet certain standards. "Smoking, if she smokes, that definitely puts me off. I'm Catholic and I say my prayers every night. She won't have to believe in God, I guess, but any children I have will be raised in the church," says the Scud. "But if she is not a dog person? Well, I just don't see how that could ever work."

Three shows into the series, the only female sharing Philippoussis' extra-big bed is Kya, the four-month-old Rottweiler puppy he bought on February 14. "I woke up on Valentine's Day feeling very depressed and very alone," he recalls. "I went on the Internet, searching for hours." But not for a date, for a puppy. "When I saw Kya's face, those big brown eyes, that was it," says Philippoussis. "It's so incredible when I turn out the lights, she gets up on the bed and puts her front paws on my shoulders and she kisses me goodnight. Now that's love."

Age of Love premieres in the US on June 18.
    Romantic Skeptic!

Just an FYI...

Jewelsey said the show will have it's own forum once a bit more info is released....

Thanks Jewels

I have a pic of the finale setting.... no people in it, just the set.

I hope this thread can be moved into the new section?
    Romantic Skeptic!

FORT Newbie

I'm a tennis fan. You don't know how disappointed I am about Mr. Philippoussis.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan;2422682;
    * This is a very nice article on him... it talks more about him as a person! He is also a dog person, maybe we can get Roseskid interested?

Scud Searches for Love
    Aussie tennis star Mark Philippoussis is looking for love and he hopes a new reality show will help him find it

Posted May. 09, 2007

Sure there won't be an age bias, tiger? "When they first told me about the older women, I said I thought I would be uncomfortable kissing them. I just couldn't see that happening. But I was wrong," says the Scud. "One of the women, she's 48 years old and she's, ah, she's beautiful. Until now, the oldest woman I ever dated was still four years younger than me. The youngest was 1910 years younger."

Just how did Philippousis get into the playing the ultimate love game in front of millions? "Through my agency, I found out that the producers were looking for a celebrity or an athlete for a Bachelor-type show and I auditioned," says the Scud, who had time on his hands after being off the tennis circuit since a series of knee injuries.

"I guess that's the great thing about this show, I am going to have to grow up in order to get to know the women. I need to learn to trust again."

Three shows had already been filmed and three of the women gathered for the shoot had already been sent home by Philippoussis. "I was so sad, I almost couldn't look in their eyes," he says. "For me, that was worse than playing the big match on Centre Court."

Rossdale is one of a handful of people who know about his friend's starring show. "He said to me, 'Wow. You could change the dating habits of all mankind!'"

"I am just looking for someone who makes me a better person. And now, I've discovered, that might be an older woman." his mother?

"I'm polite but I don't open up a lot. I tend to be very guarded but hopefully people will realize I'm a simple guy who wants a simple girl." Sure

But simple or not, she must meet certain standards. "Smoking, if she smokes, that definitely puts me off. I'm Catholic and I say my prayers every night. She won't have to believe in God, I guess, but any children I have will be raised in the church," says the Scud. "But if she is not a dog person? Well, I just don't see how that could ever work."
    I have bolded my favorite crack-up bits of this article. This guy is too easy a target. I'll almost feel bad about snarking him. Almost.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by morningglory1;2422713;
    I'm a tennis fan. You don't know how disappointed I am about Mr. Philippoussis.
    Why?

FYI, he gets to live in the Penthouse. Each woman will be living on a different floor with a chaparone ho will prevent her from interacting with other residents.

I hope this program gets it's own section!
    Romantic Skeptic!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan;2422739;

I hope this program gets it's own section!
    I do too, Wiccan - otherwise we'll have to keep bumping it. As long as we can find it, I guess this is okay. Maybe if we gather a large viewership they'll take it up top.

If the Bach starts in late Sept - then after this 8 weeks concludes we'll only have a little over a month to gear up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;2422766;
    I do too, Wiccan - otherwise we'll have to keep bumping it. As long as we can find it, I guess this is okay. Maybe if we gather a large viewership they'll take it up top.

If the Bach starts in late Sept - then after this 8 weeks concludes we'll only have a little over a month to gear up again.
    Exactly! That will be nice. We will also get a different edit since Fleiss is not associated with it. Actually they have some good people involved... "Age of Love" is produced by 3 Ball Productions. JD Roth ("The Biggest Loser," "Beauty and the Geek"), Todd A. Nelson ("The Biggest Loser," "Beauty and the Geek") Adam Greener ("Unan1mous") and Craig Armstrong ("Survivor," "Super Nanny") are executive producers.
    Romantic Skeptic!

Re: Age of Love: "Kittens" vs. "Cougars"

I will be watching this show, if anything, the two Mark's (Philippousis and Consuelos) will be great eye candy.
    And I don't think that the schedule should clash with Big Brother.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;2422720;
    I have bolded my favorite crack-up bits of this article. This guy is too easy a target. I'll almost feel bad about snarking him. Almost.
    Fear not, Ariel. This is right up Ms. Froggy's alley. Oh GAWD I can't wait for her commentary....

OK with Mark Consuelos hosting, I can't wait to hear Kelly's imitations of the girls either! Gonna be an interesting few weeks this summer. Dammit, this show better not interfere with my "real life" that I intend to have.....
    Last edited by JunkieGirl; 05-29-2007 at 12:57 AM. Reason: added comment
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

+ Reply to Thread