+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Age of Love: "Kittens" vs. "Cougars" *NO SPOILERS, PLEASE!!!*

FORT Regular

Re: Age of Love: "Kittens" vs. "Cougars" *NO SPOILERS, PLEASE!!!*

Hi Flip FAn
    I really think that this was an edit by NBC and that she did not say it all at one time so the whole thing is made to sound real catty when I'm sure we will we see that parts of these comments were made at different times and they took them out of context and pasted them together to make her sound like a real bi.....

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2441536;
    I don't know why but I find this concept degrading. Not because older women can't be sexy and attractive to younger men but in the end I think he'll pick one of the 20 somethings if for no other reason than the excuse he might want to have kids someday and some of the older women may not be interested in that any longer. ...
    Well, the show's producers really have stacked the deck against the older women in a couple ways. 1) The age gap between Mark and the "cougars" ranges from ca. 9 to 19 years, while there's only a 4 to 9 year age gap between him and the "kittens." Forget "older" or "younger" for a moment. The "kittens" are just plain more his own generation.
    2) For a 30-year-old man, a woman 12 years his senior has a major strike against her if he's looking to marry (after a year or two?) and have several kids.
    It'd have been a more interesting sociological 'experiment' if they'd chosen a 28-year-old guy and had all the women within 10 years of his age. Or, since he's 30, had all the "cougars" and "kittens" be between 21 and 39.

Of course, who am I kidding? It's not like this guy can't "choose" one of the hot older mamas, have a fling with her for a while, and then go back to dating teenyboppers.

It's not the first time a good show concept has been screwed up in the implementation. Remember Average Joe? That show could have been really interesting if physical beauty ("hunks") had been pitted against other sexy, attractive attributes. (Many average-looking or even homely guys win the hearts of beautiful women by dint of their intellect, humor, personality, "charisma," etc. Lyle Lovett, Mel Brooks, Dennis Kucynich (sp?), John McCain, Mick Jagger, Kid Rock, etc., etc., etc.) Instead, they chose "average Joes" who were not only not much to look at but also, for the most part, rather romantically challenged, at least in comparison to the "hot" guys. They chose "average guys" who, for one reason or another, had not had much success with women, when there are plenty of average-looking guys who do.

In Age Of Love's opening episode, the "kittens" came off sounding so "catty" that they seemed like females of a more canine persuasion. That's either some serious video editing, a lot of behind-the-scenes coaching, or just plain type-casting (as in "Let's find the shallowest, most obnoxious, vain "kittens" imaginable.").

And then there's that silicone-cum-scalpel thingie that some others have mentioned. When I heard the 48-year-old commenting about aging naturally and gracefully, I just about gagged. (Many women look younger at 50 than she did, and I could be wrong, but she sure looked like she'd had her eyes "done.") And some of the "kittens" look like they're not waiting till "decrepit" sets in (around age 30) to seek the surgical fountain of youth.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Thank you Grisabella. I agree with much of what you said. I also cannot wait for Andy Roddick to comment on this show in his blog. I guess he's otherwise occupied right now , but later perhaps.
    I am not too impressed with Mark P. He seems like a real player, based on his past dating history. I dont mind a dating show with a funny twist (Outback Jack anyone?). But I think the whole premise of this show is weak. I only watched ten minutes of it. And I'm not exactly a hard sell. But when it comes to dating shows, I like mine a bit more real. I'd prefer a show where there are men and women who might actually, you know, fall in love. It can happen.

Totally agree with pajamasam. Is it me, or did we barely get to hear ANY substantive conversation between Tarzan and his ladies in this episode? I mean, even by Bachelor standards I felt like we were shown caricatures instead of people -- and badly drawn caricatures at that. It's just the same Older Women v. Younger Women debate you'd see in a monthly men's magazine: "older women know what they want" vs. "younger women are sexy and I like the extra storage space between their ears." Yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by sushifan;2445417;
    Totally agree with pajamasam. Is it me, or did we barely get to hear ANY substantive conversation between Tarzan and his ladies in this episode? I mean, even by Bachelor standards I felt like we were shown caricatures instead of people -- and badly drawn caricatures at that. It's just the same Older Women v. Younger Women debate you'd see in a monthly men's magazine: "older women know what they want" vs. "younger women are sexy and I like the extra storage space between their ears." Yawn.

I agree. I expected to hear at least ONE full conversation with at least ONE of the ladies. But maybe we're expecting too much. Maybe there was no interesting conversation.

If it continues this way, Tarzan had better get out of his shirt soon.

I guess I wasn't expecting much on this one except entertainment and snark value. The cheese factor is going to go off the charts, and I bet we are going to see the whole "form over substance" argument highly edited. I'll keep watching with a jaded eye, but only for the humour content. Oh, and yeah...off with the shirt Tarzan...!

I'm bored today and decided to read some posts made at various places about this show and one thing that is being commonly said is bothering me. Since when is 40 considered OLD. Seriously, people are posting things that makes one think that the so-called cougars are one foot in the grave already.

Also most of the comments around the net seem to be focused on Mark and how he won't want an OLD woman. Yet not much (if anything) is being said where these mature and successful women may not want a spoiled womanizing brat.

*shrugs*

Still going to watch it for the cheesefactor but just had to get that off my chest because 40 is not OLD and these women should be proud of their accomplishments.

Now that that's done with LOL, no way is this guy choosing an older woman. If he does it will be strictly to extend his few moments in the spotlight and when that wears off? He will go back to dating the very young.

I hear ya Harmony but I don't think people mean it literally (at least I hope not...I'm 45 ). It's just easy to type and a way to distinguish between the 2 groups! And maybe some of the OLD women won't want Mark after talking to him...

My mom is 57 and I think she's as hot as any of the cougars on the show. Plus she skis, sails, ballroom dances and travels quite a bit. In terms of energy and vitality, my mom is younger than most of the people I know -- including me!

If you missed the premiere, they'll be showing it again prior to the new episode.

+ Reply to Thread