+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7/20 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

7/20 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

OMG, am I the only one that wants to comment on these episodes?

So far I am 18 minutes into the "Binge Drinking" episode, and these things are in the forefront of my mind right now:

1) Although I did a significant amount of drinking in college, I have never blacked out in my entire life. If I had a teenage/college age (well, any age) daughter telling me that she was blacking out on a regular basis, especially knowing the compnay she is keeping and the possibility of date rape etc., I would not be taking it as lightly as that mom is taking it!!!!

2) I am totally jealous of their beautiful house! How much does a house like that go for in Phoenix? I wonder what her husband does for a living.

3) Not having seen the whole show yet, I'll say that so far he is pretty cool with the whole experiment. I don't think they realize at Day 5 the toll the drinking is going to take on her compared to someone half her age, so they aren't taking it seriously yet. I was surprised she threw up on 4 glasses of wine the first night, but then again I live in the land of wine tasting.

Watched it last night and I must say.... I didn't 'get it'. We watched and saw absolutely NO "learning" going on, or anything remotely "eye opening" for the mother to experience or learn. Really. So, she drank excessive amounts of alcohol for 30 days. Ok.
    Why not just take someone else's word for it and trust what they say when they TELL YOU that there are blackouts, hangovers, laziness, sickness and all around crappy feelings when you drink too much??

The mother seemed to enjoy it a bit too much. Almost like she couldn't WAIT to go off the deep end and live those "college years of having fun".. like she said she wasn't able to do.
    Who in their right mind would want to tempt the brown-bottle of addiction, just to be able and "talk to your daughter" about the downfalls of it?!?! Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Sorry Harvest, I saw no redeeming qualities in this episode.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Hi, Maveno,

No need to apologize. I'll probably end up feeling the same way once I finish watching the episode. Like I said, I don't get why they are not making a big deal out of those blackouts, for one thing. But the daughter is not going to believe in the icky feelings of hangovers until she gets a little older and her body starts to have trouble processing the booze. Hopefully nothing bad will happen to her during a blackout before then!

FORT Fan
    I thought it was an interesting episode but I agree that the experiment was pointless and I think the mother should have realized this early on. When the daughter sees her mother getting drunk, waking up with a hangover and getting sick and thinks all of those things are funny, you may as well call off the experiment. Obviously, nothing short of a car accident was going to get through to this girl. I don't think its that she doesn't realize the dangers of drinking. Its that she doesn't care. She drinks to get drunk and she likes it. She wouldn't even finish the conversation at lunch about her drinking. Maybe like the mother said, this will have an impact on how her younger son sees drinking but its too soon to say that either. Thanks

Some random thoughts: I missed the first 10 minutes or so of this show. Is the daughter in college? I also thought the mother and her friend seemed to be having an exceptionally good time, and it was quite clear the daughter isn't about to change her form of 'entertainment'. I have a daughter leaving for college out of state in about three weeks, and I was appalled at the mother's reaction (or lack thereof) about her daughter's drinking. This entire show was baffling to me. Was the dad her stepfather? He seemed like a disconnected observer. I'm far from an expert in this field, but it would seem to me this girl needs to go into treatment immediately. I think a parent who ignores a child (I don't care how old they are) saying they binge drink weekly and have blackouts, is avoiding an awful truth, and could result in losing that child...permanently.

On a lighter note, that was a gorgeous home, wasn't it?
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

It was a step-father. Spoiled show off daughter was older than the middle son and he was the mother's step-son.

I don't think this phased Princess at all. I think a much more effective way to have gotten through to her would have been to take her to a hotel room after one of her binges and leave her there so she wakes up and has absolutely no idea where she is or how she got there or what might have happened.

Poor little guy was totally freaked out by drunk mom. If nothing else, I'm sure it made an impact on him to have his trampoline buddy/best bud completely out of it all day and all night.

I admit, I blacked out once and yes, it was freshman year of college. That feeling the next morning was enough to scare me ....okay, not straight, but enough that I learned and lived by my limits from then on. I sure never bragged about it to my mom, she would have FREAKED out and made me come home! and I sure wasn't as proud of it as Princess was. Michiel (not sure if that is the right funky spelling of her name) seemed more upset that she let her daughter get this way than the fact that her daughter was that way. SHE NEEDS HELP, you are STILL her mom, DO SOMETHING! is what I wanted to scream at the tv.

I don't feel this episode did much at all (which is too bad, it was the one I was looking forward to the most). Mom got to drink, it didn't affect her medically, just the cruddy hangover stuff, daughter got to be on tv doing shots and grabbing her coconut covered boobs and being shown as the master party girl she thinks she is while bragging about it the whole time she was 'stuck' at home or with mom (okay, I wanted to slap her when she took her cell call and got all bitchy about her mom and walked away while they were having a conversation!!) and little brother got crushed.

The only somewhat redeeming quality was Morgan in the driving simulator.

There are many ways that would have benefited this family (besides allowing mommy to live those college days)..

For 30 days the daughter has to spend the entire time among her party friends, babysitting and wiping up barf. Designated driver, etc..
    Send her to a rehab for 30 days.
    30 days of drinking at home, without friends..and only in front of family..so the family knows exactly what she does.
    30 days in the drunk tank.
    30 days with $20 a week, but she's gotta buy a fifth of Vodka every other day, drink it...and manage to live happily with the struggles of being poor & hungry with no job.

So many more options that would have been beneficial to her AND the family... having mom drunk for 30 days was silly.

The little factoid, cartoon characters that pop up and "help us" learn what they're trying to put down.. reminds me of the after school specials of the 70's. Or School House Rock. It's sorta cute, but.. eh.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fan
    Those would all be better suggestions if the parents would tell the daughter what to do but for whatever reason they won't do that. Thanks

I think the mother wanted to help . . . she drank way too much for 30 days to do it. I might have added one more thing if it was me: grab the girl by the collar and yell, 'you're blacking out 4 nights a week, do you have any idea that this means you have a serious alcohol problem?'

I've never heard so many stupid things come out of one girl's mouth, that the parent had no response to.

Like, 'drink to socialize? no, I drink to get drunk.' or 'So what if I black out? I always drink responsibly.'

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    The mom let the daughter walk all over her. Hello, she's 19 mom, shes not 21..THe mother was like "oh well" If that was my daughter some big changes would be happening! THe girl was an idiot, she had such stupid answerson why she likes to drink.
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast