+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7/20 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I just caught this episode on a re-run last night and I agree with all of you. I just wanted to add some additional thoughts:

1. I think the true "moral" of this episode was: Talk to your kids about these tough issues while they are still young!!! Once they are out of your house, it is too late to start trying to discipline them!

2. For this daughter to really see what her mom was going through, the daughter should have been sober and around her mom for the 30 days. I don't think I ever saw the daughter around when her mom was sick and puking.

3. They said the daughter was 19. Are they in a state where the drinking age is still 18? I thought all states had the legal age at 21 now. If she is drinking illegally, has anyone bothered to point this out to her!? Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but I didn't notice under-age drinking as an issue in this epi, just over-indulging...

4. The blacking out think was horribly disturbing to me. I drank quite a bit in my younger years and never blacked out. What is this girl (or any girl in the college party scene) going to do when she turns up pregnant, completely unable to identify the father because she blacked out at a frat party... I'm sorry, but not caring and blacking out do not equal responsible behavior - who taught this girl about responsibility!?!? Even if she were raped, she wouldn't remember the next day. That is so sad, I cannot even put it into words...

5. Who is paying for this girl to go to college + all her "accessories" (i.e., cell phone). I was under the impression that she is not working, which leads me to believe that her parents are paying her expenses. If I were footing the bill for my kids to go to college, I would be paying for them to be educated, not to party every night. I really hope that her parents will be keeping an eye on her grades and pulling the financial plug if they are not adequate. And as for that *&%^ cell phone. That girl was showing her mother NO respect. Those scenes made me so mad! If one of my kids ever tried to interrupt a serious conversation to take a call from one of their party friends, I would snatch that thing away and flush it down the toilet!!

I think I'm done now.

Too bad they didn't end this season on a more positive episode. Overall, I have enjoyed this show. I am looking forward to seeing what Morgan brings us in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher
    I just caught this episode on a re-run last night and I agree with all of you. I just wanted to add some additional thoughts:

1. I think the true "moral" of this episode was: Talk to your kids about these tough issues while they are still young!!! Once they are out of your house, it is too late to start trying to discipline them!

2. For this daughter to really see what her mom was going through, the daughter should have been sober and around her mom for the 30 days. I don't think I ever saw the daughter around when her mom was sick and puking.

3. They said the daughter was 19. Are they in a state where the drinking age is still 18? I thought all states had the legal age at 21 now. If she is drinking illegally, has anyone bothered to point this out to her!? Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but I didn't notice under-age drinking as an issue in this epi, just over-indulging...

4. The blacking out think was horribly disturbing to me. I drank quite a bit in my younger years and never blacked out. What is this girl (or any girl in the college party scene) going to do when she turns up pregnant, completely unable to identify the father because she blacked out at a frat party... I'm sorry, but not caring and blacking out do not equal responsible behavior - who taught this girl about responsibility!?!? Even if she were raped, she wouldn't remember the next day. That is so sad, I cannot even put it into words...

5. Who is paying for this girl to go to college + all her "accessories" (i.e., cell phone). I was under the impression that she is not working, which leads me to believe that her parents are paying her expenses. If I were footing the bill for my kids to go to college, I would be paying for them to be educated, not to party every night. I really hope that her parents will be keeping an eye on her grades and pulling the financial plug if they are not adequate. And as for that *&%^ cell phone. That girl was showing her mother NO respect. Those scenes made me so mad! If one of my kids ever tried to interrupt a serious conversation to take a call from one of their party friends, I would snatch that thing away and flush it down the toilet!!

I think I'm done now.

Too bad they didn't end this season on a more positive episode. Overall, I have enjoyed this show. I am looking forward to seeing what Morgan brings us in the future!
    You are absolutely right about each of these comments. I missed the beginning of the show, and had no idea the daughter was underage until I read OTiS' recap. What are these people thinking? There are so many other choices these folks could have been making all these years. Obviously this girl has been allowed to do whatever she's wanted, whenever she's wanted. I hope her good luck continues, because otherwise I fear something dreadful is going to happen. I got the impression the mother felt it was more important to be her daughter's friend, than her mother. Sometimes being a parent is messy...it comes with the job. I was disappointed that Morgan ended the show in this manner...I guess I was expecting something more profound from him. I found this show extremely disturbing.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Lots of good comments, you all.

Near the end during the lunch scene when the daughter would not listen to her mom about anything, I was reminded of why I hated teaching freshman English. Too many of those kids are so stupid and so completely convinced that the "older generation" has nothing of value to offer them (except to pay their expenses in the case of parents). You can't penetrate their thick skulls. Bleh. I enjoyed teaching adults who appreciated all the hard work I put into teaching, not the oblivious, blockheaded kids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12