+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7/06 Show Discussion

7/06 Show Discussion

Anyone watch tonight's show about the straight man living with a gay roommate? I thought it was one of the better shows, with Ryan seeming to at least attempt to understand a lifestyle he originally derided.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Dangit! I can't belive I missed it! When does it repeat? I really wanted to catch this one because my cousin's husband may have been in it. They filmed at the restaurant he manages and I wanted to see if he made it onto the show.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I enjoyed the episode. I was glad to see that Ryan did seem to be a changed man. And I kept thinking how his roommate looked like a cross between Kevin Spacey and George Clooney.

Critical, according to Yahoo, the episode will air again at 12:00am eastern on Fri. night/ Sat. morning, and 11:00 pm on Sunday, July 10th.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar
    Without a doubt, this was my favorite episode. I actually "Protect"ed it on my DVR. Will definitely watch it again. As always, thought provoking and interesting. I think the guy really had a change of heart... not that he agreed with the lifestyle but he did see homosexuals as real people and not just a stereotype. And best of all, he realized his previously stereotypical ways. Realization is the first step toward change. GOOD EPISODE.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

The show was great. Morgan really has a great series.

It was interesting how Ryan didn't really come around until he talked to the PFLAG dad. He didn't seem to have any respect for the minister (nor did she for him), so I think there was severe communication breakdown between them to begin with.

The other interesting moment came when Ryan and his friend were at the gay bar. It's like they were gay baiting to start something they knew they didn't want. I'm glad the roomie called them out on it. (BTW, did anyone have to do a double-take when they said Ryan's friend is straight? )
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corprip
    The show was great. Morgan really has a great series.

It was interesting how Ryan didn't really come around until he talked to the PFLAG dad.
    Yes, I definitely noticed how his change in attitude happened ONLY after speaking with the PFlag dad. I wish he would have had that meeting at least a week earlier. His experience would have been so much richer. But it was wonderful to see that the words of the PFlag dad had so much impact on Ryan. And even more wonderful (IMO) to see that when Ryan got back home he could recognize the stereotypical-ness (I know, not a word) in those close to him AND in how he previously was.

As for the minister, yes there was a block between them. She didn't really "hear" what he was saying and he didn't want to hear what she was saying. Perhaps if there had been another meeting between them after his talk with the PFlag dad there would have been more openness on his part. I can't recall if he did or didn't meet with the minister again after the PFlag dad. Sorry.

I really think this was the best episode yet. The fact that more FORTies haven't contributed to this discussion is a disappointment. Maybe that's because people stopped watching after the Muslim episode? Maybe that's because people had their own ideas about this particular episode's subject matter? I don't know. As humans we prefer the familiar and the comfortable. Even if we know it's not particularly the best option.

As always... just my opinion

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    Critical, according to Yahoo, the episode will air again at 12:00am eastern on Fri. night/ Sat. morning, and 11:00 pm on Sunday, July 10th.
    Thanks, OTiS! I'll have to set a reminder on my TV so I don't forget!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by corprip
    The other interesting moment came when Ryan and his friend were at the gay bar. It's like they were gay baiting to start something they knew they didn't want. I'm glad the roomie called them out on it. (BTW, did anyone have to do a double-take when they said Ryan's friend is straight? )
    Yeah, we thought his friend was totally gay, and using the gay bar as an excuse to "act" gay. I hope he is not one of those guys who pretends to be straight while having clandestine gay encounters ("what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" mentality). That is a sin. Condemning homosexuals to make them feel they have to hide who they are is also a sin. But being born with a certain preference is not a sin. That's my strongly felt opinion. I would hate to be condemned for being straight, or told I could not legally marry the person of my choice. We feel the same as the PFLAG dad that everyone deserves equal rights. It would seem to me that a "Christian" wouldn't "pick and choose" not to follow the Golden Rule! Also, why are they so concerned about other people's personal lives instead of focusing their energy on things that affect their own selves, like economic or environmental policy, for instance?
    Anyway, we thought his friend was so far in the closet he was not even aware of what he was revealing about himself on camera for a national broadcast.

I thought the episode was pretty good. I was really anticipating this one as I am a gay man. I think I was expecting much more. It seemed stereotypical to have him go to San Fran, although I understand that is a gay haven. I think he would have done much better rooming with the gay softball guy who was very straight acting or a family (2 men or 2 women with kids). I think this would have broken down the stereotypes even more. Also I wished he could have gone to another church - there are plenty of churches that are gay friendly and I would have loved for him to have a real religious discussion with an expert about what the bible says and what Jesus does not say about homosexuality - I know I have learned alot about the subject.

The gay bar scenes made me cringe, I kind of wish they didnt even go there, or went to a gay-sports bar, that would have been more low-key and much more to the liking of Ryan. Overall, though, another good episode from 30 days!

Quote Originally Posted by xiphoid76
    I would have loved for him to have a real religious discussion with an expert about what the bible says and what Jesus does not say about homosexuality
    I was told by Bible-knowledgable people that Jesus said nothing about homosexuality. He did, however, say that adulterers (e.g., anyone in that guy's church who divorced and then "had relations" with another person) was eligible for stoning... except that "he who is without sin" (i.e., nobody) should cast the first stone. In fact, didn't Jesus replace all the laws with "love one another"? If they don't follow Christ, aren't they anti-Christian? Instead they follow Leviticus or that misogynist Paul, for instance. I was really offended by the "pick and choose" method where Ryan felt he could decide what to follow and what to condemn but he wouldn't give the gays the same privilege.

Leviticus, btw, had some other choice rules, including no usury. Who among us has not bought or sold something with an interest rate?! And if they are thinking of a particular passage from Paul that they often cite, he is really saying which groups of people can sleep with which others based on social status. For instance, a male slaveowner is permitted to sleep with his male or female slaves. Do they support slavery, much less sleeping with your slaves? They are basically taking their biblical passages out of context to support being gay haters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast