+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6/29 Show Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

6/29 Show Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

No one else started one, so I did. I hope that's okay. I couldn't find this forum, I didn't realize the board had split into network and cable sections.

Edit: No one has even locked the other threads, but I'll still post the usual: Keep all your discussion of the series to this thread this evening please.

That Charleston airport is very familiar to me...and I don't know what dude was talking about, it being the first time he was made to remove shoes. I flew out of there in May, and EVERYONE had to do that.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

We're about 15-20 minutes into the program. Dave (Christian from WV) is living with a Muslim family in Dearborn, Michigan.

The Imam instructing Dave in Muslim told him that Jews, Christians, and Muslims all have their roots in the same religion and worship the same God, just in different ways. Dave doesn't seem to be able to absorb that. I guess he doesn't believe it's the same. What I don't understand is that he doesn't want to pray along with the Muslims, because he would be praying to the wrong god -- so why doesn't he just pray to the god he always prays to? Does he think God won't know who he's praying to? Very confusing. I think Dave is confused himself. That seems to be his usual state, though, so maybe it doesn't mean much. He's compared himself to Nemo, lost in the big ocean!

I didn't like his attitude towards his wife because she sent clothes (khakis, the wrong clothes) and not pictures. He's uncomfortable and takes it out on her. Not nice.

Yeah, Texicana, I thought about it -- exactly HOW MUCH does this guy fly? Most of us only a few times a year at the most. Every single time I've been since 9/11, the procedure has been changed in at least one way.

His "new Imam" is better at explaining stuff to him.

I totally forgot this was on tonight - d'oh! Good thing it comes on again right afterwards.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

He was SO rude to his wife regarding the care package. She had tears running down her face. He should be ashamed of himself.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I have to give Dave credit for being willing to do some of these things, like trying to get that petition signed. I wonder if he'll find anyone who will sign it.

He really looks different without the beard.

This episode wasn't all that interesting to me. I can't wait for the next one. Hopefully it's a lot better.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar
    As always, a thought-provoking episode. Personally, I couldn't have done it, but that's just me. I give Dave credit for even being willing to open his mind and do it... it couldn't have been easy and some of his comments attested to that. I do feel "the show" could have better prepared him. I mean, it was like he was dropped in the middle of another culture with NO idea of what they do, why they do it, when they do it, etc. His very first day should have been spent in the morning with a teacher of some sort to explain the basics to him and THEN he could have joined his host family later in the day. I thought it unfair that he was so unprepared... though that might have been the premise. I found the attitudes on both "sides" to be interesting. Regardless of ethnicity, religion, country-of-orgin, etc... good and bad people abound.

... as always... just my opinion...

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast