+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morgan Spurlock's Supersized Islamist BS

JR.

Morgan Spurlock's Supersized Islamist BS

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archi..._spurlock.html

Morgan Spurlock's Supersized Islamist BS

By Debbie Schlussel

Morgan Spurlock got famous from his Oscar-nominated documentary, "Supersize Me." He ingested supersized McDonald's meals three times a day for thirty days, then blamed McDonald's for his changed physique and health.

Now, he's using his thirty-day premise to get Americans to ingest his bloated version of radical Islam on cable's F/X Network.

Last year, I received a request to appear in Spurlock's new reality show, "30 Days." The six-episode series began Wednesday Night. The episode for which I was being recruited, "Inside an American Muslim Family," airs next Wednesday. It features Spurlock's childhood friend from West Virginia, David Stacy, spending thirty days "living as a Muslim" in the Detroit area.

While he is often referred to as a "journalist," and Spurlock touts "30 Days" as a "documentary," the outcome of the show was already decided before production began.

A show summary sent to me before taping began said, "This process aims to deconstruct common misconceptions and stereotypes . . . . [O]ur character will learn firsthand about Islam and the daily issues that . . . Muslims in America face today. The viewers will witness our character emerge from the immersion situation with a deeper understanding and appreciation for the Muslim-American experience. . . . The potential is great for this program to enlighten a national television audience about the Muslim American experience and increase their compassion, understanding and support."

I asked the show's executive producers--all of whom worked for Michael Moore--how this could be a documentary when they'd already decided the outcome. Wasn't it possible, I asked, that the subject of the program, Stacy, would come out seeing that there isn't Islamophobia to the extent that the Muslim community claims? Might Stacy see that there is disturbingly strong support in the Detroit area Islamic community for terrorist groups Hamas and Hezbollah--a fact regularly documented in the normally pliant Detroit media?

No, producers told me. "Morgan wants the show to demonstrate to America that we are Islamophobic and that 9/11's biggest victims are Muslims." With this in mind, I agreed to be filmed only with final approval of my appearance, which I never gave.

When I met David Stacy, I was amazed at how ignorant and uninformed he was. This newly-inducted "expert" on Islam never heard of Wahhabism--the extremist Sunni strain of Islam that now dominates the religion. He was unfamiliar with terrorist groups like Hamas and Hezbollah. He did not believe me that Hezbollah murdered hundreds of U.S. Marines and civilians in Beirut and elsewhere. He seemed mystified to learn that President Bush shut down American Islamic charities, like the Holy Land Foundation and Global Relief Foundation, for funding Hamas and Al Qaeda. He hadn't a clue about taqiyyah, the Koranic principle allowing deception of non-Muslims.

He told me and a Detroit radio show that Muslims are no more representative of Qaeda and Hamas than Timothy McVeigh is representative of Christianity. Actually, McVeigh was an atheist.

Spurlock planned the outcome of this "immersion" show and he found the perfect tabula rasa in Stacy. Spurlock also found the perfect "experts" and "key members" of Detroit's Islamic community to propagandize their easily swayed dupe.

Paul Findley is listed as an "expert" consultant for the show. A non-Muslim with no special knowledge of Islam, Findley's real expertise is having been an anti-Israel congressman who was defeated when he was targeted by Jewish groups. Another "expert" is Muqtedar Khan, a faux moderate professor with close ties to Muslim extremist group, Al Muhajiroun, as documented by Militant Islam Monitor. Khan criticized the Dalai Lama for opposing forced conversion to Islam, and got angry when I exposed it in a column I wrote. His columns urged understanding of how devout Muslims can be driven to commit terrorism because of the West's economic alliances. He justified Iraqi suicide attacks against U.S. soldiers as acts of frustration.

Stacy was taught by Imam Hassan Qazwini of Dearborn's Islamic Center of America, the largest mosque in North America. Qazwini's mosque hosted Louis Farrakhan, who was introduced as "our dear brother" and "a freedom fighter." I was there and wrote about it for The Detroit News. I watched Qazwini cheer on Farrakhan's attacks on America and descriptions of Jews as "evil" and "forces of Satan."

Stacy's Muslim family was selected with the help of Haaris Ahmad, an activist in CAIR (Council on American Islamic Relations), which two former FBI counterterrorism directors have described as "a Hamas front-group." CAIR got its seed money indirectly from indicted Hamas political director Moussa Abu Marzook. Ahmad called my Detroit radio show to defend indicted, alleged Islamic Jihad terrorist leader Sami Al-Arian. He said Al-Arian's successful plans and fundraising for bus bombings which killed, among others, American Alisa Flatow, were an exercise of his "free speech."

When I told Spurlock's executive producer that I felt David Stacy was a moron, she replied that Imam Husham Al-Husainy, a prominent--if Ayatollah Khomeini-revering--Dearborn Shia cleric, "said the same thing" and refused to continue teaching him about Islam for the show.

The biggest morons, though, are not Stacy, but the TV critics and viewers who fall for this supersized phony "documentary."

Posted by Debbie at June 23, 2005 10:56 PM

I don't find Debbie Schlussel creditably unbiased. I read some of her columns, but quit because of the bias, half-truths, ignoring of inconvenient facts, etc. Therefore, I have difficulty believing anything she writes. But who knows, maybe she's right.

Dear, dear, I bet this segment of the show will be polarizing.

Really, is there ANYONE in today's media that is UNbiased?? I like "30 Days", and I am really looking forward to this particular episode, but Ms. Schlussel doesn't seem to be the only one who is telling half truths, conveniently ignoring facts and showing her bias. If only half of the "facts" regarding the "overlooked" issues in this episode of "30 Days" are true, that's pretty disturbing.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    If only half of the "facts" regarding the "overlooked" issues in this episode of "30 Days" are true, that's pretty disturbing.
    Well I'll be watching, but...I had a high opinion of this show and how it was so much more open minded and less "directed and coached by the producers" than say, Wife Swap. I hope this does'nt turn into a far left propaganda vehicle, but with major media sources talking it up, thats probably where it will go.

Robbie

FORT Fogey
    Debbie Schlussel is a neo con zealot on this subject.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar
    This person's mind was made up long ago. MOST of us don't know the things this person feels are important... and in that respect David Stacy was most likely quite representative of middle-America. In doing a show like this, I would think the very last person you'd want as your "subject" would be someone who already has done tons of research and formed polarizing opinions. It's hard to open your mind and be changed by an experience if you walk into it closed-minded with pre-conceived ideas. Hmmm... isn't that the definition of PREJUDICE?

... as always... just my opinion...

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

I'm with you Marlena! I thought the show was interesting. Initially, I thought 30 days seemed like a long time. It IS a long time to take off from your "regular" life. But in terms of a learning experience, it's not all that long at all!

Re. her last paragraph, does she think that anyone who watches automatically "falls for" whatever is shown on TV? I had quite a few disagreements with what I saw, personally.

I did feel that Stacy was not equipped to argue his own viewpoint, whether you want to use the word "moron" or not. For instance, I hated that smarmy Imam, who was clearly not being open-minded even though they expected their guest to be. When he made the crack about how if people believed Jesus physically died that would mean He could not be God "because God never dies," that shows a complete ignorance of the entire mystery of the Christian faith and the doctrine of the trinity.

I am not preaching whether anyone should believe or disbelieve this. I am just saying that any informed person would know this for the sake of discussion. What I am objecting to the Imam's false logic in basing his argument on the wrong assumptions, and I also object to Stacy's utter inability to conduct a logical debate.

Stacy was also utterly incapable of making any retort to what his host family subjected him to. For instance, if I were a male guest in their house (clearly the subject of this episode would have to be male since their religion is so sexist) and was told that they felt uncomfortable leaving me alone in the house with the wife, I would have responded by asking how the husband felt as a doctor about being alone in an exam room with a woman. If he had objections, he should have chosen a different profession. What a hypocritical, extremely double standard-y, woman-hating religion! You don't even want to know the disgusting things that are done to women under the aegis of that religion.

Also, what is this whitewash of trying to claim that Jews, Christians and Muslims all worship the same god? It that were the case, they would not call Christians infidels whom it is their honor to kill, and they would not be slaughtering Israelis.

You have to hand it to Spurlock, he came up with a show that makes people think.

FORT Newbie
    I noticed that Spurlock was a conclusion looking for a documentary when I saw his "Supersize Me" mockumentary/comedy. Schluessel is on the right side of the political spectrum, but I do trust her facts WRT the Michael Moore comed'y's producers, and the front groups sending money to the radicals. I find it very hard to believe that people still side with these radical Muslims after all they are doing to destroy democracys and the way they target women and children. Christianity had it's dark time too, but that was during the middle ages- not the 21st century!

Christianity has had it's dark moments in EVERY century. Just one current example -- check out Fred Phelps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast