+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 6/15 Show Discussion Thread * Spoilers*

I hope you can catch it fluff, I really liked it. It made me sad, though. It's not like I thought poverty was any walk in the park, but to see them go through this and imagine what life would be like this without a pre-designated end in sight really makes you feel hopeless.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Oh yeah, Morgan going toe to toe with Alex over the buns was priceless, he was really defensive because those kids were blood relatives
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    Oh yeah, Morgan going toe to toe with Alex over the buns was priceless, he was really defensive because those kids were blood relatives
    I don't think he was defensive because they were blood relatives, but his way of thinking was so different than hers. I thought this was just about the best part of the show: 1) It proves how stressful being on a budget can be, and that is probably why so many divorces, 2) Morgan and Alex have different ideas about money (I can totally relate personally- I'm the Alex (saver, practical one) and my husband is the Morgan(spender), and she was upset because she was walking to work to save money, so it was a waste in her eyes, and 3) Kids are kids and they come from the same mold. The nephew wanting the pop at the movies and the buns was being such a typical kid who has no idea the cost of things, and he kept asking not thinking about the cost because the parents take care of it.

ooooo, I was getting so mad at those kids "I want the $4 soda I'll probably only drink 1/4 of" "wow, look, BUNS!!" I was so caught up in the hospital bills and the furniture and all the other drama, I totally turned into my mom and 'told' him he will get what he needs and nothing else because its a total waste of money and when he is grown up on his own and spending his own money, he will realize that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632
    ooooo, I was getting so mad at those kids "I want the $4 soda I'll probably only drink 1/4 of" "wow, look, BUNS!!" I was so caught up in the hospital bills and the furniture and all the other drama, I totally turned into my mom and 'told' him he will get what he needs and nothing else because its a total waste of money and when he is grown up on his own and spending his own money, he will realize that!

I didn't get upset with the kids only because they are probably used to not having to worry about stuff like that. I'm sure at home, spending money on pop and buns is a non issue. If they had lived on a shoestring budget all of their lives, they (the boy) may have behaved differently. Can't really blame them. Plus, they are pretty young- they have no clue about the cost of things. Like I said- they were being typical kids.

At the ages these kids were, they knew the situation, even if Uncle Morgan was only living it out for a month and for the show. I think the boy was 14-15 and the girl was 17. Reading the prices on the menu board at the theatre is well within their comprehensive skills.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    At the ages these kids were, they knew the situation, even if Uncle Morgan was only living it out for a month and for the show. I think the boy was 14-15 and the girl was 17. Reading the prices on the menu board at the theatre is well within their comprehensive skills.
    But he was still a kid! Like I said- he's probably used to not batting an eye asking for pop and buns. The situation can be explained to him, but he won't *get it* for a few more years, at best. (and it didn't help that Morgan bought it for him either. If the boy was told *no, we can't afford that right now* the lesson would have sunk ealier) So to the kid it was ask and you shall receive- just like at home.

I really can relate to this episode because that's how me and my boyfriend live day by day. We both don't have cars, we take public transportations everywhere in Portland. I have a job that pay $9 per hour but it's been on and off, so when I'm not working I'm busy looking for other job and collect unemployment check that it's not enough. I'm going to school full time at night so I can't do two jobs. My boyfriend get paid $11 per hour but he owes so much in taxes and debts. We are struggling day by day just for grocery, rent, and bills. We always think that this is only going to be temporary and always glad to realize that we have each other. . I love 30 days.

Quote Originally Posted by LiVvV
    always glad to realize that we have each other.
    That's the most important thing!

I guess I was really hoping the teenager would be a little more conscious of what he was doing. It wasn't like he was visiting Aunt Jane and Uncle Joe and maybe they don't share their finances with the rest of the family so he had no idea at all, it was famous Uncle Morgan doing a tv show on being broke. Hmmm, although...Morgan did say his brother said "HA, if you think its tough, try it with kids" so maybe kid was prepped by dad to ask ask ask for things as some sort of brotherly revenge?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632
    That's the most important thing!

I guess I was really hoping the teenager would be a little more conscious of what he was doing. It wasn't like he was visiting Aunt Jane and Uncle Joe and maybe they don't share their finances with the rest of the family so he had no idea at all, it was famous Uncle Morgan doing a tv show on being broke. Hmmm, although...Morgan did say his brother said "HA, if you think its tough, try it with kids" so maybe kid was prepped by dad to ask ask ask for things as some sort of brotherly revenge?
    That could have been. I didn't see Morgan telling the boy no, and maybe if he had, the boy would have accepted it. I don't think the boy was much of a teenager either- my guess would be 11 or 12. When Morgan said the kids were coming, I was picturing small kids- 2 or 3 year olds- not teenagers. It would really have been a shock if he was able to get a baby or two who needed formula and diapers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast