+ Reply to Thread

Thread: $25M 'Hoax' a total bust, for our money

$25M 'Hoax' a total bust, for our money

NY Daily News no likey the Hoax: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...p-214527c.html

$25M 'Hoax' a total bust, for our money

By DAVID BIANCULLI
    DAILY NEWS TV CRITIC

What do you get when you take the guys behind "The Biggest Loser," "Manhunt: The Search for America's Most Gorgeous Male Model" and "Scare Tactics" and have them work on a new reality series?

Junk, that's what.

NBC's "$25 Million Dollar Hoax," a three-part series premiering tonight at 10, isn't just bad. It's odious.

"$25 Million Dollar Hoax" isn't even an original bad idea. It's a bad ripoff, done even more repugnantly than the original. In this case, the original was the Fox reality series "My Big Fat Obnoxious FiancÚ," in which a young blond woman conned her family into believing she was marrying a slob.

In "Hoax," the blond, Christine Sanford, is handed a $5 million check from Ed McMahon, a prize from the faux Internet site "BigWin.Net." (Later, she'll get a chance to increase the prize by spinning a wheel, rigged to hit $25 million.)

The alleged dramatic payoff, though, is that the young woman has to alienate her family by spending the prize money as fast as possible, and only on herself. Everywhere she shops, actors are planted as salespeople to make the experience as degrading as possible for the family members who join her.

If every family member sticks around and shows up for the fake finale, then Christine wins $400,000 for her family. If not, they get zero.

"Hoax" is the kind of show that shouldn't have credits. It should have blames. George Gray, the smarmy host, also presided over "Todd TV." Ben Silverman ("The Biggest Loser"), Stuart Krasnow ("Manhunt") and Kevin Healy and Scott Hallock ("Scare Tactics") actually manage a sort of reverse synergy here: Their combined effort is even worse than their individual ones.

"It's only going to get worse," the narrator says after Christine's first shopping spree.

Believe him.

As she shops for overpriced outfits and charges a Hummer on her game-show credit card, Christine's family begins to simmer. Their discomfort is supposed to provide our entertainment, and made all better by the actual cash if they make it through this sadistic gauntlet.

It's the tasteless TV equivalent of blood money. NBC Universal television group President Jeff Zucker should be ashamed of himself - not only for producing this disgusting waste of time, but for stealing from Fox and doing it so poorly.

"It was only 20 minutes in," Christine says as she begins duping her loved ones for the sake of a reality-TV payoff, "and I was already feeling really crappy."

See you and raise you, sweetheart.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

A news article I agree with. I'm usually defending sucky shows because I'm wierd like that. Heck, I even signed an online petition to bring Forever Eden back. However, this show is just bad and I'm demanding NBC give me back the 15 minutes I spent watching it by compensating me with behind the scenes footage of Larissa from Average Joe. :phhht
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Care for a jelly baby? TheDoctor's Avatar
    It's the tasteless TV equivalent of blood money. NBC Universal television group President Jeff Zucker should be ashamed of himself
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. This show definitely isn't for me.

This show just hurts to watch. And the previews for next weeks show were obviously designed to get the viewer even more excited about the next episode... but they had completely the opposite effect for me. I don't want to see someone continue to act like a jerk and watch her relationships crack and crumble around her. I don't want to see how she can intentionally anger, disappoint, and crush her loved ones in more and more devestating ways.

Maybe that's just me. But I just don't enjoy that kind of thing. :phhht

She seems to enjoy it way to much. Why would she go along with the nasty comments toward her family. Just buy the stuff and spend the money, why degrade.
    All the world needs a common thread, soccer, soccer, soccer
    TASAIL !!! ETHAN still #1!!! DISC Go Jon & Kris on TAR

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    A news article I agree with. I'm usually defending sucky shows because I'm wierd like that. Heck, I even signed an online petition to bring Forever Eden back. However, this show is just bad and I'm demanding NBC give me back the 15 minutes I spent watching it by compensating me with behind the scenes footage of Larissa from Average Joe. :phhht
    Ahh, so you were the one.

I could only watch about 15 minutes as well. After thinking she won 25 million and seeing that life style, the 500k will seem like nothing at all to the family. Horrible show.

There isn't an amount of money that would enable me to treat my friends & family that way... there isn't a price that I can put on my relationships, I can definitely be selfish, but so help me, if my loved ones need anything, I'll spend my buttons trying to get it for them. I can't watch this show, it's just too despicable!

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

well i like this show and I will watch tonight!
    Interested in Titanic the game? click the link and watch this completely origional game play out. click here

I agree. Trashy but fun. More reality. hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdevine
    well i like this show and I will watch tonight!

+ Reply to Thread