+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: 5/31 show discussion Izabella **SPOILERS**

  1. #1
    "SPYING" ButterflyFaery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Never Never Land
    Posts
    5,972

    5/31 show discussion Izabella **SPOILERS**

    A teen who hid her pregnancy for 8 months finally tells her friends, and their reactions make her rethink her friendships. Later, her boyfriend betrays her family's trust.

    wow..she manages to hide it for 8 months she must not have shown much at all...catch ya'll on the re run...missed ya'll last week but computer was in the shop

    well never mind guess I get to watch this week at the regular time seems basketball is on tonight instead of body of proof...lol
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

  2. #2
    "SPYING" ButterflyFaery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Never Never Land
    Posts
    5,972

    Re: 5/31 show discussion Izabella **SPOILERS**

    it was only her friends she was hiding from..she was scared of their reactions..her best friend is willing to stand by her which is good...but she is soooooooooo embarrassed....well honey...there are ways to prevent being pregnant but it seems her family is devot catholic and I dont know much about that religion and how they reguard birth control in this day and age..I know at one time it was frowned upon but I don't know about now

    but now it seems like the best friend is backing off too

    her boyfriend seems nice and supportive but he also seems very immature...not sure if he is really ready for what is coming but only time will tell
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

  3. #3
    My Doppleganger Jupiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,244

    Re: 5/31 show discussion Izabella **SPOILERS**

    we hear the same thing each episode.."I'm soooo tired" "the baby is up all night" "I haven't had any sleep" "he doesn't help me" "I don't know where he is" "I don't know how we'll pay for [insert rent, diapers, formula, food, doctor..whatever]." That's right sweetie....that's the way it is with babies. It's hard enough when you're around 25 or so, with a home and probably a job...what in the world did they think would happen? I know they are teenagers, they DON'T think...but this is one problem that is so easily avoided.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

  4. #4
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,525

    Re: 5/31 show discussion Izabella **SPOILERS**

    Strictly speaking, Catholics still aren't supposed to practice any sort of birth control beyond abstinence or the rhythm method. However, American Catholics have not generally been that great at following all the rules set down in Rome.

    Is it just me or does the boyfriend look like he's about thirteen? The girlfriend looks the age she is, but he just doesn't.

    Can I also say that I'm loving all the parents in this episode, especially after the awful mother in the last episode? Her parents are so supportive, and I can even see his father's point in saying that Hiram could at least get a part time job. Lots of college students, perhaps even the majority, have a part time job of some kind, so it's not expecting that much of him to contribute something to the household, since they are giving him free room and board. If he can't get a part time job, he could work for her parents around the house--yard work, housework etc.--to help out and show some responsibility. I like Izabella's attitude too. She was ready to show him the door if he didn't buckle down and get that high school degree and get into community college, and he did.

    Too bad about all the secrets, though--first hers and then his. I'm glad her best friend came around, but I'm also glad she made it clear that it hurt to find out about the pregnancy the way she did. That had to be a big shock to her, considering she thought they shared everything, and that it took some time to work through it is natural.

    One last thing--she's in all AP courses, she's planning on being a doctor, and even she doesn't get how necessary it is to use birth control? Or was it just that she's so incredibly Catholic (though if she were, she'd also believe it was wrong to have sex outside of marriage)?

  5. #5
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    127

    Re: 5/31 show discussion Izabella **SPOILERS**

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Strictly speaking, Catholics still aren't supposed to practice any sort of birth control beyond abstinence or the rhythm method. However, American Catholics have not generally been that great at following all the rules set down in Rome.

    One last thing--she's in all AP courses, she's planning on being a doctor, and even she doesn't get how necessary it is to use birth control? Or was it just that she's so incredibly Catholic (though if she were, she'd also believe it was wrong to have sex outside of marriage)?
    I haven't seen the episode yet, but my parents and grandparents are catholic along with most of my friends growing up. I'm no longer catholic, but that's how I was raised. We aren't supposed to practice any birth control other than natural family planning. I don't know why she would think it is okay to have sex but not okay to use birth control, but I know quite a few girls who honestly didn't know anything about birth control until they were into their 20's. If you are raised around only catholics and people don't talk about it, no one ever teaches them. And Catholic schools certainly don't talk about ways to prevent pregnancy other than abstinence.

  6. #6
    FORT Fogey straycat80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    873

    Re: 5/31 show discussion Izabella **SPOILERS**

    I think this girl was lucky to have such supportive parents, plus they were communicating with the boyfriend too. Jairo did seem immature but that seems to be the norm of most of the baby daddy's on this show.
    I thought it was kind of ironic that Izabella was trying to 'hide' her pregnancy but was wearing skin tight clothes which made the baby bump very obvious. Don't they make the blousy maternity tops anymore?

  7. #7
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,796

    Re: 5/31 show discussion Izabella **SPOILERS**

    IMO Izabella was hiding this in her mind only. Remember when she told her friend and she said she had already heard it. I think all that secretive stuff was just in her mind. I think her friends knew pretty soon.

    I'm also not sure why the girls often say that people will look down on them or talk about them. (Other girls on this show say this too.) I don't know why they say that. In my state, it isn't uncommon for young girls to get pregnant and it isn't that big of a deal. If there is negative talk, it's hidden, because most of the young kids think it's cool. (Which isn't good.)

    The teen father did look quite young. Helping him is great, but allowing him to live in their house and the teen mom not using birth control is a BIG MISTAKE. She will be pregnant again within 12 months. I do not believe they will live under one roof and not have sex, even if they do not share a bedroom. The parents are naive if they think they have learned a lesson and it won't happen again.

  8. #8
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,525

    Re: 5/31 show discussion Izabella **SPOILERS**

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    IMO Izabella was hiding this in her mind only. Remember when she told her friend and she said she had already heard it. I think all that secretive stuff was just in her mind. I think her friends knew pretty soon.

    I'm also not sure why the girls often say that people will look down on them or talk about them. (Other girls on this show say this too.) I don't know why they say that. In my state, it isn't uncommon for young girls to get pregnant and it isn't that big of a deal. If there is negative talk, it's hidden, because most of the young kids think it's cool. (Which isn't good.)

    The teen father did look quite young. Helping him is great, but allowing him to live in their house and the teen mom not using birth control is a BIG MISTAKE. She will be pregnant again within 12 months. I do not believe they will live under one roof and not have sex, even if they do not share a bedroom. The parents are naive if they think they have learned a lesson and it won't happen again.

    I wonder if the fact that Izabella's family is, according to her own description of it, extremely Catholic and the fact that she lives in a community in Utah that she referred to as primarily Mormon might have something to do with her concern that she would be looked down upon for becoming pregnant at sixteen. Sounded to me like the majority of her family and friends might likely be pretty conservative when it comes to premarital sex.

  9. #9
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,796

    Re: 5/31 show discussion Izabella **SPOILERS**

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I wonder if the fact that Izabella's family is, according to her own description of it, extremely Catholic and the fact that she lives in a community in Utah that she referred to as primarily Mormon might have something to do with her concern that she would be looked down upon for becoming pregnant at sixteen. Sounded to me like the majority of her family and friends might likely be pretty conservative when it comes to premarital sex.
    Oh yes. I think that Catholics do teach and believe certain prohibitions about premarital sex, as do Mormons, Baptists, etc., but what actually happens, is quite different. I'm sure Utah is no stranger to teen pregnancy regardless of their Mormon following. I know I have seen shows that demonstrate that there are bars, prisons and prostitutes in Utah. It sounds wild, but it does happen.

    My 16 year-old nephew went to a very fundamental, Christian school when his 16 year-old girlfriend got pregnant. It was a big shock, but it does happen. He was educated on birth control, but chose to ignore it. He was not properly supervised though. It seems that no matter how much you teach them, they still will chose to have unprotected sex.

  10. #10
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,449

    Re: 5/31 show discussion Izabella **SPOILERS**

    I don't know about Catholics in Utah, but Catholics in California are pretty accepting. The thing is that parents assume nobody is going to have pre-marital sex and so they don't fully inform their kids about protection. I hear a lot of stories about super-religious people disowning family members but I haven't seen that happen among Catholics in this area. The story did not surprise me with the mom not educating her daughter and the family (particularly the daughter) hiding the pregnancy from others. I was also not surprised by the way the parents accepted her, the baby, and the baby's father. That's how most of the Catholic teen pregnancy stories at my high school played out.
    These were possibly the best grandparents in teen mom history! I commend them. The baby's father was even pretty good. Of course he messed up, but he actually showed remorse! Imagine that!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.