+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5/25 Show Discussion *spoilers*

FORT Newbie

Re: 5/25 Show Discussion *spoilers*

Debb, I know what you mean about something being up with that mom. Tilden, they did show the boyfriend but only for a few seconds, sitting with his head down. He looked at least 10-15 years younger than the mom, so I'm thinking there was some other reason that he was with her...

This episode was by far one of the saddest MTV has shown. These kids genuninely seemed to be trying. Hard to watch.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

FORT Fogey

I just realized Kayla is in Mankato, MN. Mankato is home to Mankato State University, which has a nursing program for both LPNs and RNs. I hope she knows that and feels, at some point, that she could look into it. From what I looked at briefly on-line, it appears that she could do some course work on an extended campus/on-line basis, which might help as well. Perhaps that would be a solution for Mike as well, who was going to college out of town and dropped out to come and help with the baby.

MSU also has a number of housing options available to students, including apartments and houses and even a gated community for students. The average cost for a two bedroom apartment in Mankato is apparently $720, so I would imagine the university would try and keep it under that in order to keep the housing funds coming from students. For that matter, if the average cost for a two bedroom apartment is $720, it seems a bit much for Kayla's mother to charge them $300 for a room, especially when Mike is helping out with child care as well as working part time.

There's also child care available on campus through the School of Education. I imagine it's probably competitive to get in there, but at least it would be available.

I just hated the way Kayla seemed to have given up on all the dreams she had for her future prior to becoming a teen mom. I hope somebody encourages her to look at what's available right in her home town.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I just hated the way Kayla seemed to have given up on all the dreams she had for her future prior to becoming a teen mom. I hope somebody encourages her to look at what's available right in her home town.
    I agree. Especially since before her mom got involved it seemed like her boyfriend was trying to work with her so she could graduate and go to college. She was one of the few teen moms who had a plan and her mom screwed it up.

OMG, this girl's mom was absolutely horrifying. I cannot believe how she basically left her daughter to raise herself, let alone a new baby! Thank goodness the boyfriend wasn't the typical type we see on this show. I couldn't believe the audacity to charge them rent! Her whole friggin' trailer payment probably is $300 a month! And then for her to not even care that there was no heat, especially with a newborn living there...geez...there are no words.

I feel like this girl could have graduated with her class if her selfish, piece of crap mother would have actually acted like a mother & helped her out a little bit!! I think the mom & boyfriend got something weird going on, like drugs. It was just too weird the way she was always over there. Why couldn't he come to her house instead? And does she pay her boyfriend rent since she's always over there? I bet not!! What a friggin' hypocritical piece of...work. Kayla & her boyfriend need to go get a place of their own. I'm sure they can rent their own trailer for $300 a month, or even get some gov't assisted housing. Why should they pay her lousy mother's rent for her? They need to get a place of their own, or maybe they could live with the boyfriend's family? I don't know what the situation is with them. They never showed them, so maybe it's not good & not an option for them to live there. But I think the best thing would be for them to get a place of their own.

I still can't get over Kayla's mother. What a cold, uncaring woman.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I think it would be good to get away from her mom too, however, setting up residence is not all that simple, when you have no credit and no money for security deposits. Some places you can't get gas, lights, etc. turned on without a another customer with good credit, signing for you or placing deposits such as $250.00. Plus, you have things like cable, internet, water, groceries, car, gas, insurance, tags, taxes, etc. It's quite expensive. I don't see how they could afford all that with just one working.

I just wish that the teen moms who can't seem to get focused on their high school diploma, would stop and understand that they really need to get it done. It doesn't matter if you feel bad, stressed, tired, etc. You really need to do it. Once they are 18 years old, their parents are not required to support them, and if the dad, takes off and doesn't help, they will be the only bread winner for their child. Without at least a high school diploma, they are doomed! Why do so many of them just act as if they don't need it. I find it difficult to believe that there are no services for child care for this girl to attend high school.

FORT Fogey

It astonishes me that so few of these girls seem capable of understanding the basics of real life. I realize they are still teenagers, but have none of them ever had to earn their own money for anything, even extras? Have they never had to save up to be able to buy something they wanted? They don't seem to have any idea what it is to save or pay a bill or forgo something that would be immediately gratifying (like eating out) in order to afford something else.

I don't expect them to know everything that's required to rent an apartment, but if they had ever had to keep track of their own finances, even in a minor way, they might be better equipped to plan for bigger financial responsibilities. It seems so many of them want to be adults without even the foggiest idea of what being an adult involves. They don't understand how birth control works, but they want to have sex. They want their own apartments or houses, but they don't realize what that involves financially. They want good jobs, but they can't figure out how to get some kind of education--whether it's college or vocational training--that will allow them to succeed. They don't even seem to know who to go to in order to get some help with any of these issues (e.g. both Cailyn and Jenelle didn't seem to understand how financial aid works, when high schools and colleges have professionals available, for free, to help them understand it).

I also sometimes get the impression that some of these girls feel compelled to keep their babies, because they think they must. I can't help but think that last week's young mother, in particular, seemed just too overwhelmed by her own problems to take on the additional responsibilities of motherhood and that maybe she and her child might have been better served by adoption. If I remember correctly, Caitlyn and Tyler have successfully completed their high school degrees and are progressing toward careers of their own choosing, and Carly, their daughter, is doing well, and they're still in contact with her and her parents. If there's been a success story coming out of the 16 and Pregnant/Teen Mom series, it appears to be them. Not that I think it's impossible for a young woman to keep her child and succeed--I know it's not, because I've seen it happen--but that for some young parents, adoption is the best option for everyone involved and that they shouldn't feel pressured against even considering it just because it's more common these days for young women to choose to keep their babies.

If I remember correctly, Caitlyn and Tyler have successfully completed their high school degrees and are progressing toward careers of their own choosing,
    On the last season of Teen Mom (1), Caitlyn & Tyler did not get to graduate with their class due to grades. I can't remember if they had to take summer school or what the deal was, but Caitlyn was apparently in denial about her grades, thinking she had A's & B's, when in reality, she was failing at least one class.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I hope tonight's episode is interesting....except for the mother from last week, and Jennifer's episode, this whole season has been so boring to me! JMHO again though. Love you all!

Tilden, I agree with you on the issues you mentioned. Kids aren't required to learn much about finances. It's the parent's responsiblity to teach it. I have a lovely niece who lives at home and pays her own car payment, insurance, taxes, tags, gasoline, and clothes. My brother says he doesn't even have to ask for it. She comes to him and gives him a check each month on time. She saves her money and doesn't buy junk. She just graduated from high school and is going to be a radiology tech. I'm so proud of her.

I know other kids who just walk up and ask you for money all the time. It's so sad. I try to explain that you should earn money for special trips by doing chores or extra jobs for people and how begging for money is not a good thing. They don't get it. I think parents sometimes feel guility for some reason and just hand over money to gain favor with the child. They don't realize that it sets up the child up for failure when they become an adult.

I never did understand what happened with Tyler and Caitlyn at their graduation. There seemed to be no reason they did not graduate. I hope they have gotten on track and are now in college. I hope they are actually doing it and not just talking about doing it. I see people who are always getting ready to start classes, but it never seems to happen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12